Skull Set – A lesson in keyword researched content.
This is a quick post on the topic of keyword research and content.
A long while ago, I signed up to GraphicRiver. If you aren’t familiar with this site, it’s a site where designers can sell royalty free graphic design stock. I signed up after stumbling onto the site while surfing the web. Being a designer, I have LOTS of design files sitting on more than one hard drive collecting dust. I figured I would sign up and upload a few designs to see if I would make a buck or two.
Being the consummate researcher, I decided to research the subject matter of a few of my designs. One of them was kinda interesting. At one point, I bought a Wacom tablet. I played around with it and drew some skulls illustrations. I did them just to get the feel of the Wacom and saved them to my hard drive.
When I found them, I thought “skulls are timelessly popular” so I opened up the Google Adwords tool and did a little research. Here’s how that process went:
1. I typed in “skull” and hit search
Google showed about 2.5 million searches for the word skull. Interesting but pretty broad and probably hard to compete with.
2. I had more than one skull illustration so I thought I would group them together. So I search for “skull set”.
This is interesting. Google shows roughly 3600 global searches each month. That sounds like it might be pretty easy to compete with.
3. I jump over to Google and simply search for “skull set” (without the quotes).
Google shows that there are about 28 million results. That’s quite a few. Now it’s time to see who is really targeting this keyword term.
4. I search Google for – intitle:skull set
It shows that there are over 1 million results. That’s way too high to compete with from the looks of things. So let’s try something else.
5. I search Google for – allintitle:skull set
Close to 100,000. Better but still pretty competitive. Is this worth it? There’s one more attempt to see if I can compete.
6. I search Google for – allintitle:”skull set” (making sure to use quotes)
Now we’re looking at about 4,000 results. That’s something we can compete with.
So, having done a little research on what design might be found via search engines, I do a little research on GraphicRiver itself. That starts with the HTML.
Taking a look around GraphicRiver, I notice right off the bat that the page name is generated by your item’s title. That’s a great way to get an SEO point. The next thing that I notice is that the title of your design is rendered using an H2 tag. Another point for SEO. You are also allowed to add descriptions of your item. Another place for SEO.
So I decide to upload using the simple title of “Skull Set”.
If you do a search for Skull Set in Google, you should see that my item is listed around #4 or #5 (at the time of this writing) and I didn’t have to do much SEO at all aside from a little research. (The listing should be titled Vectors – Skull Set – Graphic River)
To date, the illustration has sold 5 copies at $7. A total of $35 with a 50% commission. Not a whole lot of money but for a few minutes of work, hey, you can’t beat it. I’ve played with a few other files as well and sales trickle in over time without me doing any promotion. With a little more work, you never know, I may be able to make hundreds of thousands.
If you have any keyword research success stories or techniques, let me know.Tweet
No related posts.